More and more these days I am introducing ‘mindful’ walking meditation into my classes.
Here are 10 reasons why:
1. It’s a wonderful bridge to bring an experience of sitting meditation into daily life
2. Walking meditation aids us in recognizing that meditation is much more than a sitting practice
3. Walking meditation is beneficial for the health of both the body and mind
4. It’s a perfect preparation for sitting practice
5. Walking Meditation is a wonderful tool for calming and pacifying the mind
6. Walking Meditation can be practiced naturally many times during day
7. The practice gives beginners an insight into calming the mind without the fuss of a sitting practice
8. We are used to walking – so the initial transition to an awareness practice is easier than jumping straight into sitting practice
9. The process of mindful walking has almost as calming an effect on the mind as focusing on the breath
10. It’s a noble practice to bring peace into the world
At Mind Space we are recording a series of guided walking meditations and events based around this subject – details will be with you very soon.